Friday, August 3, 2012

I Almost Hit a Girl...

A characteristic I've picked up from my mom is "Mama Bear Syndrome". It's typically passed down from one generation to another and is best described as standing up for those you love to the point you would do almost anything. My mom would so often come to our defense growing up. I loved having her in my corner because lets face it - no one wanted to mess with her! :)

While on maternity leave, I took Lawson and Harleigh to the library to read books, get a change in scenery/get out of the house! While there, Harleigh sat down on a little chair and read books to me. She mimics her teachers at school and knows how to hold the book properly and get the 'students' attention, tell them to 'sit down and listen'. She began reciting her version of a "Llama Llama" book. A little 3 yr old sat down by her with her book and was reading to her mom/babysitter/grandma (I'm not sure who she was but could have fit into any of these classifications- pretty much this person was suppose to be watching this child who I might at would have never left my house in an outfit she had on- stains, unmatching, etc).  Harleigh and this 3 year old look at each other. I told Harleigh to be nice, and ask the little girl her name and share hers. Like any perfect angel, Harleigh does. That was pretty much the extent of the conversation between the two.

Harleigh sits down, picks up another book to read to me, and this 3 year old looks at me and says "why does she have droopy eyes"? She pointed at them and gave a look like there was something wrong with H.

I quickly responded that Harleigh has beautiful eyes, gave her a look like she just said a curse word and should never talk to me again, and then gave my attention back to my perfect 2 year old who was looking at me with confusion across her face. (As you can tell, I'm still ticked that this child would say anything like this to my kid. And what are droopy eyes? If by droopy, you mean awesomely beautiful then "yes" they're "droopy.")

Who did this 3 year old think she was, dissing my child who was so polite and nice to her? As we left, I was still a little miffed that the grandma/mom/babysitter/lazy bum didn't correct her bratty child so like any mature parent I called my husband to vent. I started with "So I almost punched a girl today..."

Zak having zero idea of what was going on, asked what happened and I began sharing "Well, Harleigh, Lawson and I went to the library....and they asked why Harleigh had 'droppy' eyes...Harleigh has beautiful eyes- they look  just like mine:)....ahh....I can't believe it". I guess I left out some of the context that this was a 3 year old, so Zak was picturing an adult saying this. He responded that he "couldn't believe someone would say that and how rude", he then asked how old I thought they were thinking my response would be "in their 30's" or "in there 40s" and I said "she was 3".

He started laughing and to this day, he'll come home after a rough day and say "I almost hit a girl..."

Harleigh if you're reading this, Mommy would never hit a 3 yr old. I would wait until they were at least 5. :) haha...No, violence is never a solution and you have the most beautiful eyes in the world!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You did have a good mentor mama bear.

Anonymous said...

tell me what this little 3 year old looked like, any idea what type of car they drive, how about which direction could they have gone?????