Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Happy Birthday, Ginger!

Today is Ginger's birthday! 29 years ago today, Ginger blessed this world with her presence.  Ginger and I have celebrated her birthday together every year and as a new mom I'm sure this year will be the best one.  I'm sure daddy Dean has something special up his sleeve (and if not, Dean, you better get crackin').  For her birthday, this is part of my gift to her, 5 reasons why I'm (opps, today is not about me) Ginger is the bestest sister ever:
1. Thoughtful.  Ginger is one of the most thoughtful people I know.  When we lived together at college, and I would have a stressful event coming up, like a test or a timed run for volleyball.  Ginger would always write a sweet note of encouragement that would allow me to relax and get through whatever the event was.
2. Creative.  I have a very creative family.  I believe the medical term is S.C.I.G. (Super Creative Intelligent Gift).  Ginger has this.  She is both very artistic and a great writer (check out her blog: http://lifeasadean.wordpress.com/). 
3. Honesty. Ginger is brutally honest. Whether you want to hear that your haircut looks bad or that the blonde hair dye you thought was going to look like the blonde hair on the box, and it actually turned out like Carrot Top. Ginger has no shame in letting you know that your "hair can be seen from a half mile away". Thanks for your honesty, Ging!
4. Funny.  I laugh all the time when I hang out with my sister.  She says some of the funniest things, and does some of the funniest things.  She has no problem in making fun of herself, and never takes life too seriously.  One of my favorite memories was when I was at tryouts to walk on for UNCW vball, and we had to do this drill where a ball was rolled side to side on the court and you had to stop it before it reached a certain point. Before any drill, the coach would always have someone demonstrate and on this particular occasion, he chose Ginger.  As she was trying to complete the drill, she ended up stumbling I mean, completely wiping out and eating it.  I had told the other girls trying out that I had an older sister on the team. One of the girls sitting next to me ask which one was my sister, and I pretended to not hear the question, as I did not want to point out that it was my sister laying flat on her face licking the wood floor!  Love you, Ging!
5. Christian Woman.  Ginger is someone I have in my life for the reasons above, but  most importantly is that she helps hold me accountable for my walk with Christ. When worldly things began to get to me, Ginger helps me realize what really counts and keeps me in line with my faith. 

All of these are why I'm blessed to have an amazing, loving, OLDER sister!  Thank you for playing such a huge role in my life, Ginger.  I can't imagine not having you being a part of it.  Enjoy this FINAL year in your 20's- the count down is on- 364 days 12 hours until you are 30!




2 comments:

Ginger said...

This is my new favorite blog to check!! I love love love this post :) thanks for the birthday love SISTER :)

Anonymous said...

This was an amazing blog post. Did she really eat the wood floor?

Mystery follower adyleshe