Thursday, November 24, 2011

Book Review: Hunger Games

I've been in a Book Club for a year and a half.  This may come to a shock for most, as I absolutely hate reading. I'm more of a "pictures" person, so magazines/movies are more my speed.  We'll for our October book club we were debating on the next book to read so I suggested Hunger Games, I had read it was a celebrity fave in one of my trashy mag's.  After suggesting it, I immediately wanted to stick my foot in my mouth because this meant that I should attempt to read it.  Since Hunger Games is a newer book, they didn't have the audio cd's available, and they are making the movie now so I couldn't "cheat".  A colleague of mine said she got it, and let me borrow it.  I read it in 3 days!  It was a great book, a little disturbing for new mom's though.  Here's a quick recap of the book without giving away any of the juicy secrets.

In The Hunger Games' case, the future America (now called Panem) is made up of 12 Districts, each District serving a purpose, whether mining, fishing, farming, etc. The produce from every District is used mostly to benefit the affluent citizens living within the Capitol, leaving the District natives suffering with poverty and starvation.



Every year the Government living in the Capitol hosts The Hunger Games, where a boy and a girl (aged 12 - 18) from each of the 12 Districts is selected at random to enter a televised event where all 24 'tributes' will have to kill or be killed in an arena containing various weapons and utilities.


The last remaining survivor will return to their District a hero with a new life of fame and fortune and the Governments reward of one years supply of food for their District.

It's very good and I would recommend it to everyone.  We're now on the second book of the series...

No comments: