Monday, April 16, 2012

The Hospital- my second home

For the first 3 weeks of Lawson's life, I spent about half of it in the hospital.  After a second c-section, I was in the hospital for 5 days.  And when Lawson was 3 weeks old, I got a really bad case of mastistis.  I got it with Harleigh too.  Mastitis, in a nutshell, is an infection of breast tissue women get when they're nursing.  (Sorry if this is TMI, I use this blog as a record and a way for mom's to share information.)  I was on medicine for 3 days, and wasn't kicking the infection, I felt like I had the flu (cold sweats, feeling aching, fever, tired).  I woke up on Sat morning after being on antibiotics for 3 days with 104.4 fever, I called my doctor and they sent me to the hospital to get on IV antibiotics. After 24 hrs on IV, I still had a 103.1 fever and needed to stay until my fever broke and was fever free for 24 hrs.  It was definitely tough for Zak, because I wasn't much help with both kids, and I wasn't allowed to have Lawson stay with me unless someone else was there to care for him.  I'm very lucky to have an amazing husband who stepped up and was able to watch the kids and help care for me.  I also want to thank the grandparents, my mom, who came over Sat morning to watch Harleigh and Lawson when I was admitted to the hospital and kept Harleigh Sat night.  And for my mother-in-law, who dropped everything to come into town to help out.  We are very blessed!  After my stay in the hospital, I'm still nursing and pumping (which is what you have to do to get rid of this horrible infection).  Anyone who says "you don't sacrifice as a parent" needs to come talk to me! :)

No comments: